Thursday, June 28, 2012

What do Record Labels Look For!!!


Everyday a new future star is born! In the music industry this is definitely the truth. The idea of being a star is all in the idea of the beholder. What is considered being a star to one person is not always the same as what other people consider to be a star.  One thing that holds true, is that in order to reach the level of stardom most people consider, you will need help from someone already with there foot in the door. The question that many aspiring future stars may ask is exactly how do you go about getting your foot into the mainstream door. There are many answers to this including the one that we all dream of, Instant fame. Somehow, someway, someone will discover you singing to yourself, or at one of your shows, and POW! Instant success. However for 99.9999999% of us out here in the world. This is not the method that will work for us.
Another method to reaching the industry professional level is to know someone already there. Like a family member who may work for Sony Music, EMI, Warner, Universal  or even Conscious Mind Records. As nice and as simple as this seems, people have to factor in that for all the people that work for a label, very few of them actually have the power or know the discussion maker well enough to get your music in the door. The chances of your friend or family member being the one are slim to none.

Then we have the main avenue most people take. We push hard getting our music out to the public, doing shows, publishing our material, selling CD’s and any other method we can think of. Well, let me tell you from the industry inside point of view, you have to be unique, and have a monster work ethic. I can give you the Conscious Mind Records point of view. As the C.E.O. Of Orlando Florida's fastest growing record company, I receive a lot of people’s music. From online popups on Face Book, to CD’s on my car window at shows, friends bring their friends music to me, emails, mail, and every way possible. I personally don’t have time to here them all, and I know the other labels don’t either. So let me give you a tip on how to get our attention.

First you have to be different. If you give me a CD with music that sounds like the majority of people out there today, I will not listen. I find that to be the most common problem. Most people rap or sing about the same thing, over beats that sounds the same, and there is nothing new about them at all. You have less then 10 seconds to catch the average discussion makers attention with your music. Make every second count, and new! Also the artist has to show me that they are willing to go through the same grind I had to, in order to be successful. Yes we will push you once we decide to sign you, but we need artist who take this business serious. Why would I spend thousands or in the major labels case, millions on an artist who wouldn’t spend a penny, and wouldn’t work there behinds off to be successful. Also, is if your look is boring, and doesn’t match your music genre, you may be over looked. You don’t have to be a dime piece, or look like Denzel in his prime, but your dress and look alone can gain you fans, before they even here your music. 
Finally I must see confidence. I want to see you sing your song like it’s the best song in the world and I want you to show us why we should think so also. If you cant show me you truly believe in yourself and your music, then why should I believe in them. With all that being said, no matter who or what tells you to give up. You should never stop!!! Thank you all for spending your valuable time reading this, and remember to teach the world, and Spread Peace! 
“T” C.E.O. Conscious Mind records Inc.








No comments:

Post a Comment